Received quite some inquires about loading specific gauges onto multiple FIPs (Flight Instrument Panels) in desired order.
Here’s how I do it:
- Use a powered USB hub to connect all FIPs to the computer
- Plug the first FIP (the one to display the first gauge) to the last numbered port on the hub
- Then the second FIP to the second last port; the third to the third last port, and so on.
The FIPs are required to plug in this manner because the USB hub always starts the FIPs in reverse order from the last numbered port to the first numbered port.
In other words, the FIP plugged in the last USB port on the hub will always be the first one starting up.
Once the connection is done, gauges will now be loaded according to the order of GaugeList specified in the SaiFlightSimX.xml file (C:\Program Files (x86)\Saitek\DirectOutput).
Followings are the gauge order I defined, and how my FIPs are plugged to the 10-port USB hub.
- In order to operate the FIPs effectively via the hub, a power supply is necessary to provide the required electricity to the USB ports.
- If the USB hub doesn’t start the FIPs in sequence as described above, remember the startup order (USB ports) and re-plug the FIPs accordingly.
- If the computer has just been turned on, adding in the FIPs (through the hub’s master USB cable) after FSX is loaded will prevent the occasional gauge-order messing up error. Moreover, I found fps is least affected under this start-up sequence.