Autogen objects are defined by default.xml under FSX’s Autogen folder. Many third-party sceneries during installation will add new objects to the file, making it bigger and bigger.
Here’s a quick and easy way to reduce the size of it and bring some improvements, especially to low- to mid-end computers.
1) Locate default.xml in the Autogen folder of the Microsoft Flight Simulator X directory (x:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Autogen)
2) Backup the file first for safety sake
3) Open the file with Notepad
4) Change encoding=”utf-16″ to encoding=”utf-8″ on the first line
5) Click Safe As… from the file menu
6) Choose UTF-8 from the Encoding option next to the Save button
7) Click Save and confirm to overwrite the original file, then Exit Notepad
By converting the encoding of default.xml from UTF-16 to UTF-8, file size of it can be reduced significantly (in my case up to 65%) and bring some improvements to overall performance.